Ways to inspire yourself to work.
Freelance offers great opportunities to the employed, but imposes a serious responsibility. A freelancer can assume a large flow of good orders, if he/she has a respectable reputation as a result of responsible attitude to work, ability to carry through meeting the deadlines. But what should you do, if the muse has gone away “to have a cup of coffee” and doesn’t hurry back? How can you bring yourself to work, if just a thought of the necessity to complete the project makes you weep?
We offer seven methods of inspiring oneself to great achievements.
Method one. Set a goal
The goal is everything. It is a determining factor, which, if used correctly, helps moving mountains.
For some people the material goals are most valuable, for others the moral ones are more inspiring. There are internal and external, big and small, traditional and original goals. In this regard, you may have your fantasy on the loose, but, as a result, you should get a clearly defined inspiring goal – it will enable you to hump yourself and set to work, when nothing else is helpful.
Some tips for newcomers, how to find inspiration for work:
- generate short-term and long-term goals. In addition to “I’ll get n euros for the order”, use “if I do my work well, I’ll get a good reference, the customer will recommend me to his/her friends, I’ll be able to widen the client base”;
- define the goals that catch rather than frighten. There are not many people that can be strongly motivated by an opportunity of getting a couple of euros. However, the goal of buying a house on an island in the Pacific ocean won’t make you work hard – it is difficult to believe;
- change the goals. Motivation cannot last long, if it is static. Have you reached one goal? Set a new one. Maybe, this way you’ll soon get to a house on an island in the Pacific ocean.
Freelancers say, “There is a wish list above my desk: I make it in Photoshop and print. As I reach my goal, I change the pictures on the wish list, so it always remained motivating, inspiring. During the period of work with getservice.es, I have changed five such wish lists.” Pedro, programmer.
Method two. Look for an inspiring example
From time to time, we all take notice of people having gained success. While some are envious, others use similar examples as a perfect stimulus. Try to analyze what catches you in such people, and go on in the discovered direction:
- make a list of personalities that you hold up as an example in certain moments — Robert Kiyosaki, Steven Jobs — don’t be shy of celebrities;
- work with the names from the list defining distinctive features of the selected examples to follow. Study biography of these people, look at their behaviour in difficult situations, their way of time management, words about motivation;
- hang pictures of these people at your work place, and you’ll have a reminder of what you strive for in front of your eyes. Gentle music at the background may also help;
- use social network opportunities to the maximum. Sign up to the profiles of people you consider to be the experts. This way you’ll be able to learn relevant news about the people that motivate you, and, at the same time, find the news in the sphere you are interested in, and in the adjacent industries. Don’t forget, the more news you learn, the more valuable specialist you become for the customers.
Freelancers say, “I’m engaged in creating selling texts, hence, I am interested in any news on this subject. Social networks help me keep my eye on the ball, every day I spend half an hour to investigate what new things are suggested by the prominent specialists in the required field.” Carlos, copywriter.
Method three. Learn to see the problems at a new angle
For most people the problem is a defeat you should forget as soon as possible. And only some percent of hundred rejoice at problems thinking that it is feedback, precious experience, capable of bringing much more good than the today’s success.
To begin with, we suggest generating a positive thinking that cannot be affected by external factors. How to do it?
- Learn to praise yourself for every small thing. Have you made an important call and fixed an appointment? Have you succeeded in completing a simple, but boring project? Have you refused from watching a film to complete the project? Praise yourself, don’t be afraid to overdo – your sincere praise will cheer you up becoming an additional source of energy. Having fixed a habit of praising yourself, you’ll be surprised how deeply it will change your life, and not only in the professional sphere.
- Start working. No matter how frightening and complex the work to do may seem, start. Many freelancers (and office workers, too) will confirm: as you set to work, all reasons to refuse from it move to the background. Then, when you achieve certain results in solving particular problems, you’ll start experiencing pleasure from achievements. Don’t forget praising yourself. Make yourself get up earlier and start – inspiration often comes during work.
- Learn to split the forthcoming project into stages. Complete the first stage, fix the result, praise yourself, and it will be much easier to move on. In this context, it is just impossible to overestimate the importance of small victories – they are easy to achieve, and they give an incredible flow of positive emotions creating the positive thinking.
Freelancers say, “Belief is very important. How can you start believing? Begin with small things. Generate small, simple, but healthy habits – I’ve learnt to get up early, and I’ve got more time for self-development. 60-80 minutes a day I devote to training: read books, scientific articles, news on my specialty, on adjacent subjects, it lets me use many terms, enabling to have a look at the problem at several angles and choose the most preferable solution in this particular case.” Thiago, translator.
Method four. Learn to see the result in advance.
If you have a particular plan of actions, it won’t be difficult to predict the result.
Do you conclude the contract with the customer? Steer clear of surprises: agree upon the number of possible corrections in advance. All other reworks shall be done for a particular compensation, meet the deadlines.
Freelancers say, “At the very moment of my nomination, I stipulate that cooperation is possible only when all details are agreed. It helps avoid misunderstanding and characterizes me as a professional who perfectly knows the subject and the value of time. I always discuss the deadlines of work performance, the payment, the final result the customers wants to see, in advance.” Miguel, programmer.
Method five. Invent the award for the performed work
Sometimes it happens that it is impossible to make yourself set to the work you fancy – neither goals nor examples to follow are helpful. As first aid, we suggest you using the award. It may be a chocolate bar you’ll let yourself eat after the order is delivered (even if it occurs after 6.00 p.m.) or a permission to take an unscheduled day-off.
It is difficult to overestimate the feedback from the customer, as well. A good reference is your advertisement to other customers, praise from the employer cooperation with which has been just completed. It is possible that you’ll sincerely love your work.
Freelancers say, “I think that there are no complex tasks, there are interesting tasks. However, this rule does not apply to the customers – sometimes there are people it is really difficult to work with. In such moments I treat myself with chocolates I normally don’t eat. And I don’t forget about a possible reference: curiously enough, but the most difficult customers to work with then give the most pleasant references. Maybe, it is because they are difficult to please, and when somebody succeeds, they are lavish with their praise.” Maria, stylist.
Method six. Learn to believe in yourself
A serious problem “average” specialists face is lack of believe in oneself. This category of performers hides so many uncut diamonds, you can open a jewelry shop.
Before you lose your heart having faced a complex task, we suggest that you should remember what progress you have made in your profession, what great distance separates you from the beginner. Remember successfully completed projects, read good references from the customers who were satisfied with your work, don’t be shy to praise yourself.
Freelancers say, “The key factor of success in any business is confidence. Even if I face a task I don’t know how to solve today, I’m sure I’ll find the bypass. When I lose my heart, I think of multiple similar “unsolvable” tasks I’ve closed for this period, think of good references of grateful customers, and belief in my abilities appears at once. With every time my self-esteem is even higher, which incredibly helps me in work.” Frederico, architect.
Method seven. Focus on the work in progress
No matter what your specialty is, it is important that during work you could completely concentrate on your activity, whether cleaning the flat, developing a landing page for a company or editing a working document. What shall you do, if you can’t concentrate? Use one of the techniques set forth below.
- Regularly ask yourself: “What am I doing it for?” and answer in detail – the inner voice, if you listen attentively, will prompt many interesting answers from earning the money to buy something necessary or pleasant on down to getting a good reference for multiple hours of work. Usually fine minutes of self-analysis are enough to charge with emotions and energy for several hours (as minimum).
- Visualize. You don’t want to work. Imagine (in maximum detail) what you’ll feel, when you finish the project, when you hear the acknowledgements from the customer, receive compensation for your pains, feel satisfied having coped with a difficult task. Do you feel a surge of energy and a wish to finish it all as soon as possible? Fix this state in the conscious and set to work.
- Switch over. Remember, only a perfectly refreshed person can work well and quickly. Nothing inspires you? Maybe, you burnt out? Cannot make yourself work? Go for a walk, do relaxing yoga, meditate, listen to favourite music, watch some film, pictures, read some motivating quotations.
Freelancers say, “How can you make yourself do the hated work? Meditation helps me: half an hour spent in shavasana charge me with vigor, confidence, readiness to move mountains.” Madalena, web-site designer.
And in conclusion, I’d like to quote a witty phrase: “Inspiration should find you at work!”